Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Five Stages of Grief

If you came here to get cheered up, then you're in the wrong corner of the Internet, unless you're a Dodgers fan.  If that's the case, I have no idea how you got past security.  I'd like to say I'm not one of those people who let the outcome of a sporting event dictate my mood, but that would be a big fat lie.  And baseball hits me the hardest.


Yeah, that about nails it.  I went to bed sad, at 2:00 in the morning, mind you.  I woke up sad.  I'm blogging sad.  I'm about to go for a really sad run.  If you think I'm being dramatic, you can suck it.  I am GRIEVING, people!  And I just want it to be over.  Grieving over a tough loss is no different than anything else.  I have to push through these five stages, and get on with my life.

Stage One:  Denial

I can't tell  you how long after the game I sat on my couch last night waiting for something to happen.  Somebody found steroids in the Dodgers' Gatorade.  The Braves had earned a magical extra inning.  Something!  There was just no way that my baseball season was over.  I'm just not accepting it.  We are the best come from behind team in the MLB this year.  This game just can't be over.  


Stage Two:  Anger

Oh, I'm angry.  Big time.  You guys get paid MILLIONS of dollars to win.  DO IT!  I'm do my job for 1% of that, and I do it well.  And remember, you're the come from behind team.  Those damn announcers reminded me every two seconds.  Was I lied to?  I think I've covered where liars go.  I am 800 shades of angry right now.   You guys had one job.  One job!


That pretty much nails what my face looks like when it's not stained with tears.  And yes, I did throw a few things last night, because I'm an adult and that's how I express my anger.  Shove it.

Stage Three:  Bargaining

 I've already blown through this stage before the game started.  You know, since this is a major, life changing, important event, I said a little prayer the night before the game and right before the game started.  And there was definitely a 'Please God!' thrown in about once an inning.
  



It didn't work.  Obviously.  I guess the whole point of bargaining is to offer something in return.  I didn't promise to stop cursing, or drinking, or to get a handle on my problem with gluttony.  Maybe that's where I went wrong.  
  
Stage Four:  Depression

And this is the stage I have been hanging out in the most.  I. Am. Sad.  I love all sports, but baseball is my jam.  It's my favorite.  My first love.  The reason I'm happy from March to October every year.  And now it's over for me.  O-V-E-R.  My heart is broken. 



Thank goodness all we keep in the house is Folic Acid and Birth Control, so I didn't make any rash decisions in all my sadness last night and try to OD.  Baseball is serious, ya'll.

Stage Five:  Acceptance

Sweet, sweet acceptance.  Will I ever get there?  I'm inclined to answer 'no' but, I've been here before.  So, I know I'll make it.  It just doesn't feel like it right now.  I feel like I'll be in this sad little bubble until next October, when we can try again.  But, I know, deep now, I will be happy again.  I will see the light.  I'll get there.  One day I'll wake up and my heart won't be so heavy.



Don't you guys worry about me.  I'll be fine.  Feel free to send flowers and drop off some casseroles in the mean time.  Or some Rays apparel.  That's the beauty of finding a significant other who cheers for different teams than you.  When your team bombs their chance, you have a back up.  Lessens the blow a little bit.

So, all my fellow Braves fans, we'll be ok.  I promise.  If you're a new fan, you'll get used to this feeling.

Oh, and the Dodgers suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment