Monday, April 28, 2014

Daddy-o

Happy Monday, kiddos!  Are you guys ready to kill me yet since I can actually say that and mean it since I don't work on Mondays.?  Yeah, well get over it, and get back to work!  (After you read this, of course.)  I had a mixed emotions weekend.  My great aunt passed away last week and her funeral was over the weekend.  My dad's side of the family happens to have nailed the whole longevity thing when it comes to living, so she got a nice solid 92 years out of life.  So, while it's horrible seeing family in pain, I think we all took comfort in knowing she got plenty out of life in every way possible.  The good thing to come out of this weekend though?
I got to hang out my absolute favorite man in the world.  I wish I could bottle the mood I'm in when I get to spend time with my dad and give it to all you guys.  The world would be all peace, love, and puppies.  Seriously.  Somebody asked me why I was in such a good mood if I had just come from a funeral, and it's because of that dude.  I just love to be around my dad.  Also, he gave me vodka, but that's not the point.

It's funny how relationships with your parents change as you get older.  I don't love my dad any differently or any more than I ever had before, our relationship is just different.  When you're finally an adult I feel like you can actually have a friendship with your parents.  My dad wasn't my friend when I was 13.  What 40 year old man would have a 13 year old friend?  Weird, right?  I'm 13, tell me to quit being a smart ass and give me some money.  Now that I'm finally an adult (or something slightly resembling one) I can have real conversations with him, I have things in common with him, and we can swap tips on how to sneak liquor into places. 
Probably some booze under his hat.
It's just nice picking up the phone and shooting the shit with my dad.  Or bumming around the living room swapping stories instead of stock conversations about school, sports, or if I'm behaving for my mom.  I have a good relationship with him because I choose to because I'm an adult (yeah, I said it again) and nobody can force me into anything.  It's interesting to discover all the things I have in common with him now and all the different ways I act and think like him. 

I hope everybody is lucky enough to get along with their parents like that.  Especially people my age, because our parents are getting older guys. Ok, he's not really that old, but you know what I mean.  Time goes by way too fast.  Those two pictures feel like they were taken a month apart, not 25 years.  Enjoy the people who gave you life.  And let them know frequently that you do.  I hope you're all lucky enough to have a dad who mixes a drink like that guy does too. 

Cheers! 

(Because I can get drunk on a Monday, suckers.)

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about your great aunt, but I agree knowing that they loved a full and happy life makes is easier.

    ReplyDelete